West Africa Cycle Challenge Volunteer
Following a successful pioneering challenge in June 2017 the West Africa Cycle Challenge (WACC) is back! Cyclists will travel 300km by bike through lush green landscapes from Bo in Sierra Leone to Robertsport in Liberia. Along the way cyclists visit rural schools, learn about Street Child projects and experience the culture in a completely unique way. For more information on the challenge please visit the website here.
The successful applicant must be prepared to live and work in austere conditions when required, and to travel independently to urban, rural and remote project sites. The applicant must be able to manage his or her work plan and report regularly to the team on progress. Ideally the applicant would be available to be Sierra Leone and/or Liberia for the full month of January. A fundraising commitment will be required of the successful applicant, for which support will be provided by Street Child UK staff. Flights and food are at the applicant’s own expense. Accommodation will be provided by Street Child at a fixed cost, and will require sharing rooms with another volunteer of any gender. A detailed breakdown of costs and expenses will be provided for those applicants selected for interview.
Whilst this is initially a voluntary role, for applicants with relevant experience who have the ability to add strategic value, there is potential to attain a more permanent position with the organisation.
LOCATION: Rural and urban Sierra Leone and Liberia
DATES: May 2018
DURATION: 6-8 weeks
We are looking for a volunteer to work in Sierra Leone and/or Liberia leading up to and during the West Africa Cycle Challenge 2018. The volunteer will work closely with the Project Coordinator and local Street Child staff in a crucial role supporting on the operational aspects of the event and leading on the communications during the event. Volunteering with the West Africa Cycle Challenge is guaranteed to be busy and varied and is a great opportunity to offer real value to a team whilst gaining valuable experience in project management, event planning and communications. Equally you will have the opportunity to shape your own experience according to your skills, knowledge and goals.
- Planning of the cycle challenges operational logistics.
- Planning and arranging visits to Street Child projects with local staff members.
- Procuring in country sponsorship.
- Liaising with Street Child staff both in UK, Sierra Leone and Liberia.
- Leading on event week communications.
- Previous logistics experience
- Highly self-motivated and pro-active, with the ability to work as part of a team
- Culturally responsive and respectful
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to plan and implement plans in a structured manner
- Excellent communication skills, fluent English, both oral and written
- Experience in photography is desirable
- Ability to work under pressure and handle last minute changes
- Ability to be flexible and to work outside of your specific duties when needed, have fun and laugh along with a sometimes unpredictable environment!
- An interest in Africa, international development and/or sport events would be of benefit.
For more information, please email: