Teaching & Learning
LOCATION: Various locations in urban and rural Liberia
DURATION: 4 - 12 weeks
In September 2017 Street Child launched its Flagship Academies, operating schools across three counties under the Government of Liberia’s Partnership Schools program.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a team that is implementing an innovative program that wants to achieve a rapid improvement in learning outcomes for Liberia’s children as well as build the long-term capacity of teachers and schools across the country.
- Assist with the creation or adaptation of curricular resources targeted at the specific needs of particular groups of children
- Analyse student outcomes data and assist with the development of strategies to optimize learning outcomes
- Assist with the logistics of teacher training and coaching activities, including planning, scheduling and resourcing
- Analyse data and information from teacher education program to improve effectiveness and efficacy
- Prepare reports on teacher progress, including relevant evidence
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with partner organisations and schools
- Provide regular information sharing and reporting to relevant stakeholders
The successful applicant must be prepared to live and work in austere conditions when required, and to travel independently within Liberia. The applicant must be able to manage their work plan and report regularly to the team on progress, and will be considered a valued member of the team. A fundraising commitment will be required of the successful applicant, for which support will be provided by Street Child UK staff. The successful applicant will be required to live in Liberia for at least 4 weeks. Food and flights are at the applicant’s own expense. Accommodation will be provided by Street Child at a fixed cost, and may require sharing rooms with another volunteer of any gender. A more detailed breakdown of costs and expenses will be provided for those applicants selected for an interview.
Whilst this is initially a voluntary role, for applicants with relevant experience who have the ability to add strategic value, there is potential to attain a more permanent position with the organisation.
- Experience or understanding of creating curriculum and education programs for children and adults
- Demonstrated understanding of teaching and learning structures and strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional and diligent in presentation and conduct
- Independent and capable of proactive work plan management with minimal support
- Flexible, adaptable and able to thrive in a start-up environment
- Thoughtful, resourceful, reflective, and eager to learn
- Culturally responsive and respectful
- Keen interest in understanding and contributing to the development sector
For more information, please email: