Operations & Logistics Coordinator
Sierra Leone Marathon Voluteer
- Planning and management of marathon logistics including transport, airport transfers, accommodation and catering.
- Arranging the logistical aspect of visits to Street Child projects with local staff members.
- Liaising with Street Child staff both in UK and Sierra Leone.
- Assisting in event procurement.
- Proactively supporting the recruitment of international and local participants.
- Assisting in the delivery of the “world’s most worthwhile marathon” at the end of May 2018, making sure the 150 international participants have a life changing and memorable experience.
The successful applicant must be prepared to live in very basic conditions and to travel independently around Sierra Leone. Food, accommodation and flights are at the applicant’s own expense. A more detailed breakdown of costs and expenses will be provided for those applicants selected for interview. A fundraising commitment is also required.
Whilst this is initially a voluntary role, for applicants with relevant experience able to prove their ability to add strategic value, there is the distinct possibility of attaining a more permanent position: almost all the charity’s paid staff began as interns or on a pro bono basis.
For more information, please email:
LOCATION: Makeni, Sierra Leone
DATES: April - June
DURATION: 6 - 8 weeks (negotiable)
The Sierra Leone Marathon is the charity’s flagship event, having raised over 1.4 million pounds to support children in Sierra Leone. On Sunday 27th May 2018 we will host the seventh annual Sierra
Leone Marathon and we aim to make this by far our most successful fundraising event to date.
We are looking for a volunteer to work mainly in Sierra Leone leading up to and during the Sierra Leone Marathon 2018.
The Ambassador will work closely with the Race Director, Project Coordinator and Street Child staff to help deliver the Sierra Leone Marathon 2018, with a focus on the operational aspects of the event including participant in-country transportation, accommodation, catering and excursions.
An internship with the Sierra Leone Marathon is guaranteed to be busy and varied and this is a great opportunity to offer real value to a team whilst gaining valuable experience in project management,
event planning and international development. Equally you will have the opportunity to shape your own experience according to your skills, knowledge and goals.
- Highly self-motivated and pro-active, with the ability to work as part of a team
- Experience in logistics and event coordination
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to plan and implement plans in a structured manner;
- Excellent communication skills, fluent English, both oral and written
- Independent and able to make decisions with little guidance
- Ability to work under pressure and handle last minute changes
- Ability to be flexible and to work outside of your specific duties when needed, have fun and laugh along with a sometimes unpredictable environment!
- An interest in Africa, international affairs and/or international development would be of benefit.