Sierra Leone Marathon Volunteer
LOCATION: Makeni, Sierra Leone
DATES: April - June
DURATION: 6 - 8 weeks (negotiable)
Are you up for challenge and adventure?! We need great volunteers who are up for getting their hands dirty supporting on a truly extraordinary international event!
On 27th May 2018, Street Child will be hosting the seventh annual Sierra Leone Marathon. This is our biggest fundraising event, and we are looking for a great team of dedicated volunteers to help make it the best one yet.
We need a volunteer with communications experience to head in-country and take the lead on the media surrounding the event. You will be managing the PR and marketing of the marathon, with a key focus on preparing for and coordinating the media teams who will be travelling out to capture the "world's most worthwhile marathon".
- Identify key stories and case studies suitable for press
- Work with local staff and communities to arrange interviews
- Liaise with local and international media in the field
- Support the logistics of the media team in visiting projects and on marathon-day
- Helping the media team get interviews from the marathon runners on marathon-day and throughout their trip
- Write and co-ordinate clear and effective press releases
- Helping to coordinate the Street Child media team
- An eye for compelling storytelling
- Experience working with or in the media, PR and/or marketing
- Highly proactive and comfortable with working independently and as part of a team
- Excellent organisational and logistical skills
- An interest in Africa, international affairs and/or international development would be of benefit
- Ability to be flexible and to work outside of your specific duties when needed, have fun and laugh along with a sometimes unpredictable environment!
Successful applicants will be living in basic conditions on the Street Child compound, and will be expected to travel independently around Sierra Leone.
This is a self-funded trip, and so volunteers will need to cover their own flights, vaccinations, visas and in-country costs. A daily rate of £7 per day, to be paid to Street Child, will cover your accommodation, airport transfers and work travel.
A fundraising commitment is asked of all our volunteers, for which you will receive support from your volunteer coordinator.
For applicants with relevant experience able to prove their ability to add strategic value, there may be the possibility of attaining a more permanent position: almost all the charity’s paid staff began as interns or on a pro bono basis.
For more information of the international volunteering programme:
For more information on the Sierra Leone Marathon:
We can't wait to hear from you!