Sierra Leone Marathon Volunteer
LOCATION: Makeni, Sierra Leone
DATES: April - June
DURATION: 6 - 8 weeks (flexible)
Are you up for challenge and adventure? We need great volunteers who are up for getting their hands dirty supporting on a truly extraordinary international event!
The Sierra Leone Marathon is the charity’s flagship event, having raised over 1.4 million pounds to support children in Sierra Leone. On Sunday 27th May 2018 is the seventh annual Sierra Leone Marathon and we intend to make this one the best yet. So we need your help, to make this happen.
- Supporting in planning marathon logistics including transport, airport transfers, accommodation and catering.
- Helping to arrange project visits for the marathon runners.
- Liaising with Street Child staff both in UK and Sierra Leone.
- Proactively supporting the recruitment of international and local marathon participants.
- Making sure the 150 international participants have a life changing and memorable experience!
What would I be doing?
As a volunteer, you would be helping to deliver on the operational aspects of the marathon, including arranging transport, liaising with local stakeholders and visiting our field projects to arrange visits for the marathon runners. You would be living and working with the Street Child local and UK team in a town called Makeni, where the marathon will be taking place. On your weekends, you can head to the stunning beaches of Sierra Leone for a much needed break, or you can travel to Street Child's rural stations to visit our projects and meet the beneficiaries and local teams.
The marathon is an important event for Street Child, and so we need a dedicated team to help drive it forward. This is a fast-paced role that will test your skills in project management, operations and problem-solving in the exciting Sierra Leonean setting.
- Highly self-motivated and pro-active
- A strong team worker
- Experience in logistics and event coordination preferred
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to work under pressure and handle last minute changes
- Ability to be flexible and to work outside of your specific duties when needed, have fun and laugh along with a sometimes unpredictable environment!
- An interest in international development would be of benefit.
Successful applicants will be living in basic conditions on the Street Child compound, and will be expected to travel independently around Sierra Leone.
This is a self-funded trip, and so volunteers will need to cover their own flights, vaccinations, visas and in-country costs. A daily rate of £7 per day, paid to Street Child, will cover your accommodation, airport transfers and work travel.
A fundraising commitment is asked of all our volunteers, for which you will receive support from your volunteer coordinator.
For applicants with relevant experience able to prove their ability to add strategic value, there may be the possibility of attaining a more permanent position: almost all the charity’s paid staff began as interns or on a pro bono basis.
For more information, please email:
We can't wait to hear from you!