Photographer / Filmmaker
West Africa Challenges Volunteer - Photographer & filmmaker needed
We are looking for a talented photographer and/or videographer to capture our award-winning international challenges: the Sierra Leone Marathon and the West Afrcia Cycle Challenge.
On 27th May 2018, Street Child will be hosting the seventh annual Sierra Leone Marathon. The week after this, will be our third West Africa Cycle Challenge, when cyclists ride for 5 days across remote West Africa. Are you ready to take on a challenge and get in the thick of humanitarian communications?
- Travel into the field to collect footage on our in-country work and the marathon and cycle challenge
- Create short, compelling films capturing: the Sierra Leone Marathon 2018, the West Africa Cycle Challenge and Street Child's 'Right to Learn' project
- Photograph both events
- Liaise with local staff and communities to identify stories
- Work with our local field staff to encourage, train and provide guidance in storytelling & capturing case studies
- Work closely with the Street Child local and international teams to support & be supported where needed
Successful applicants will be living in basic conditions on the Street Child compound, and will be expected to travel independently around Sierra Leone.
This is a self-funded trip, and so volunteers will need to cover their own flights, vaccinations, visas and in-country costs. A daily rate of £7 per day, to be paid to Street Child, will cover your accommodation, airport transfers and work travel.
A fundraising commitment is asked of all our volunteers, for which you will receive support from your volunteer coordinator.
For applicants with relevant experience able to prove their ability to add strategic value, there may be the possibility of attaining a more permanent position: almost all the charity’s paid staff began as interns or on a pro bono basis.
What will I be doing?
You will be joining the Street Child team in West Africa to help capture these two extraordinary adventures. This will involve heading out to Sierra Leone to collect content prior to and during marathon week, followed by a week on the open road capturing the West Africa Cycle Challenge from Sierra Leone to Liberia. Along the way you will get to travel through the beautiful landscape, immerse in the local culture and meet the kids and families that Street Child's projects support.
You will get to be a valuable part of the dedicated teams behind each event, immerse in the West African culture, and get stuck into some real adventure journalism in an humanitarian context.
- Strong creativity and a talent for compelling storytelling
- Ability and willingness to execute a media project in a highly challenging environment
- Experience in photography and/or film-making
- Independent and capable of proactive work plan management with minimal support
- Culturally responsive and respectful
- Professional and diligent in presentation and conduct
- Keen interest in understanding and contributing to the humanitarian sector
- Ability to be flexible and to work outside of your specific duties when needed, have fun and laugh along with a sometimes unpredictable environment!
For more information on international volunteering:
For more information on the challenges: